Thursday, March 15, 2007

One ugly building!

With the Metro having major issues this morning on the red line, I decided to walk to work from Chinatown instead of standing on a crowded platform for 30 minutes. I realized after I started walking that it may not have been the best idea given the amount of blisters I got gallivanting around Georgetown last night but it was still nice to be outside enjoying the weather instead of suffocating waiting for the red line.

Anyways, I've done the walk down H street before but its always been after work with co-workers heading to a happy hour in Chinatown, so I never really noticed what an eyesore the buildings on that road are! Specifically, the Government Accountability Office (GAO)... the picture does not do this building justice! I truly feel sorry for anyone who has to work there. It was built in 1951 and doesn't look like it has been renovated since.
According to its history, the GAO used to be in the old Pension building, which is now the National Building Museum - one of my favorite buildings in DC. I'm guessing they wished they stayed there. The most shocking thing to me is that in 1995 the GAO building was named to the National Register of Historic Places as a symbol of modern block-type federal office design. Modern?? I think not! That side of Chinatown is so run down and now I realize its because no one wants to build next to this ugly building. DC is filled with so many beautiful places, they really should start tearing down the eye sores before they give it a bad reputation.

No comments: