Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Meet John Doe

Sunday night I saw Meet John Doe at Ford's Theatre. I highly recommend it. Its a very classic Americana type play so what better place to have it's world premiere than Ford's Theatre. The musical is based off of Frank Capra's 1941 film with the same title. The story is set in the Depression (early 30s) and everyone at a newspaper was getting laid off. As retaliation, one columnist published a fake letter by a "John Doe" who said he was going to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge on Christmas Eve as a protest for the state of the society. It takes off from there and there is comedy, drama and romance. Some of the solos were a bit too long for me, especially after intermission when I was getting tired. BUT I did not fall asleep during the play and as a lot of you know that means it must be good! The Washington Post also gave it rave reviews last week. I got my tickets from Goldstar Events so the tickets were half-price and the seats were excellent.

No comments: