Tuesday, May 8, 2007

If it can't hide it...don't wear it!


Alright ladies...I know spring is in the air and as the weather warms up we are uber-tempted to show a little skin. But let's have some class!

I've noticed the cutout is back. You know what I'm talking about: that little missing geometric swatch of fabric from your shirt/bathing suit. I'm not sure what I think of this but after seeing a rather horrendous faux paux regarding this trend on Saturday afternoon, I feel its my responsibility to let you know what people will and will not let you get away with while sporting this trend.

Numero uno pet peeve -- if you can't hide a bra under it or go without, you probably shouldn't be wearing it. I know, I know...Carrie on Sex and the City did it all the time and with her couture no less. Well, that was a tv show that operated outside of the realm of reality. This most likely will not work for anyone not frequenting the Red Carpet. And even Carrie matched it to her outfits or went with a basic black. The girl, so unflatteringly depicted to the right (and I must thank Ryan for surreptitiously snapping this pick for me) is breaking a couple of rules. The bra doesn't even match. It was a lacy, periwinkle colored thing that stood out so obviously we were giggling about it for at least a half an hour. It didn't help that she was a little drunk and calling extra attention to herself. This shirt is the perfect candidate for the self adhesive bra. I mean, from the front she obviously needed "support" so I give her props for that. But when you only spend $14.99 on a shirt, you can spring for the $30 bra that can hide under it.

I was going to search for some good cutout options...but there aren't any really. If you wanna show some skin I suggest a halter, tube top or a strappy tank. But even with those options, if you can't go the no-bra route and you can't camouflage the thing, skip it. I don't care if its on sale or the most comfortable thing you've ever worn.

Its. Not. Attractive.

No comments: