Friday, February 23, 2007

Mastodon Does Indeed Rock

Unlike most people who listen to the genre, I was not into heavy metal as a kid. My parents kept me pretty sheltered musically, and these days I wonder if I shouldn't seek therapy for all the Neil Diamond they made me listen to. But in my mid-twenties, I've discovered metal for myself and I've learned to see it for more than loud guitars and screamed lyrics. After seeing Mastodon at the 9:30 Club last Saturday, I've learned that a metal band can possess a technical brilliance rarely seen in rock. I watched in amazement as fingers flew across the fret boards, producing sounds I didn't think were possible from a guitar. The drumming incorporated jazz elements, albeit about a hundred times faster than any jazz drummer has ever dreamed of going. There were moments I felt as though I was watching a symphony as the various elements blended into a virtuoso sound. And that sound was loud. Very, very loud. Standing in the very back of the room, I thought I would be manly and decline the earplugs my friend offered me. About three songs in I changed my mind as the double kick bass drum threatened to rip my eardrums out of my head.
I will say that Mastodon is not for everyone. But it was one of the most exhilarating shows I have seen in a while. I highly recommend checking out their new CD, Blood Mountain, as well as visiting their website (www.mastodonrocks.com).

No comments: