Thursday, February 15, 2007

Rave Review: Acadiana

Nick and I enjoyed a Valentine's dinner last night at Acadiana, 901 New York Ave, NW. I'd been eying this place since it opened, but hadn't heard any reviews compelling enough to put it at the top of the list. However, when making late V-Day reservations on Monday, I didn't have many choices and decided to give it a try. That was a very good decision. Acadiana is part of the restaurant group that owns other DC favs, such as DC Coast, Tenh Penh, and Ceiba. An ode to New Orleans cuisine, Acadiana's menu features all the traditional dishes - gumbo, jambalaya risotto, BBQ Shrimp, and of course hot bisquits to start. Last night they offered a 3-course menu with quite a few options for the starter and main course. I had a hard time choosing, as they all sounded so good. I ended up going with the beet salad, BBQ Shrimp, and the Vanilla Bean and Rose Water Creme Brulee. Nick chose the chicken and sausage gumbo, Roast filet of beef with buttermilk mashed potatoes, and the espresso cake. They started us off with the most amazing bisquits - hot, buttery, and served with a cream cheese and pepper jelly spread. Divine. They they brought an amuse bouche to start, it was a crawfish wonton that was just enough spicy and piping hot. My salad was phenomenal - thinly sliced red beets, goat cheese, spiced pecans, spring greens, and a honey vinagrette. It was one of the best salads I've had in ages. Nick was also a big fan of the gumbo. Our main courses were also terrific, although mine a bit salty for my taste. Finally, my dessert was a huge serving of creme brulee with both the creamy custard and the sugar crust perfectly executed - I at it all! Nick was less excited about the espresso cake, but I had a taste and thought it was excellent - light and airy with a fragrant rasberry coulis. In a final nice touch, they sent us home with a box of truffles to enjoy later. MMMM.

For the decor, the restaurant isn't much to write about, muted tones make it look almost dingey - as if it's been around awhile and not just a year. But I did like the eclectic chandeliers and the wait staff's chef coats. Fortunately the excellent food far outweighed any cosmetic criticisms and the bar looked like a place I'd like to visit again too. The prices were also on the high end, but I we felt like it was worth it for the food. I'd definitely recommend giving Acadiana a try, especially if you like New Orleans cuisine!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I've been to Acadiana for a reception once and loved it! Been dying to go back - any place that serves fried green tomatoes and shrimp and grits gets an A in my book! Glad you gave it a rave review... especially after you hated Corduroy!