Thursday, February 1, 2007

Double Duty

So, after wondering for about 15 minutes how the heck to post to this thing, I think I finally figured it out. I promised to post by today so here goes... (I'm actually a little scared since I've never blogged before!)

I was reading a story today about Miss USA possibly being abused as a child. She was attributing some of her issues with drugs and alcohol to this abuse. While I doubt life for a gorgeous beauty queen has been really difficult hard, considering her hardest decision all day is probably "do I eat, or do I not eat? hmm... maybe just some Vodka instead.", I think it's fine that she still gets to keep her crown and represent America... which got me thinking. Didn't we just have the Miss America pageant? Do we really have a Miss USA and a Miss America?

So I decided to do some research...

We do, in fact, has a Miss USA and a Miss America (as well as a Miss Blue Devil, Miss Fire Ant, and Miss Rural Electrification). Miss USA has been running for 56 years and was started as a promotional campaign for a swimsuit company, while Miss America has been a scholarship competition for 86 years. The biggest difference I found was that The Miss USA pageant does not have a talent competition (but why do we need that with American Idol back on air?). No wonder Miss USA is using cocaine and alcohol! She doesn't have anything better to do like practice her piano or twirl flaming batons. The Miss America pageant is run by the non-profit Miss America Organization-- not Donald Trump. Interesting... I know.

To lead you through the Stephanie mind set of how I got to this topic at all... I was interested to know what would happen if Miss USA and Miss America showed up at the same place.

My question to you: Who holds the higher title: Miss USA or Miss America? Thoughts...

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I heard her interview with Matt Lauer this morning while I was at the gym. He pressed her pretty hard - to the point that I felt bad for her. She kept saying she wanted to keep the abuse part private until she spoke to her parents but he just wouldn't let it go.

But to get to your thought about what would happen if they were in the same room together... Miss USA, Miss Universe and Miss Teen America all live in the same apartment in New York, which is paid for by Trump. But of course that does not include Miss America.

I always thought Miss America contestants were smarter and more talented and more reputable. But then I was watching MTV this weekend and they had like a Miss America boot camp and it totally changed my mind! The girls were pretty lame, couldn't answer a question and got all in a tizzy when they were asked to take their make-up off!

Mrs.McFadz said...

Oh man, I know way way too much on this topic to even get started in the blog...I'll assure you we can discuss tonight at HH. The Miss America Systems is BY FAR - or was BY FAR the superior pageant system. However, it's taken a turn for the worse in the past 2 years. Moving from Atlantic City - it's home for 84 years and network television to Las Vegas and the CMT Network should about tell you what happened there....

Cassandra said...

honestly, i think the whole "its a scholarship program" makes miss america kind of lame. sure they have talent contest, but really its all about how they look in the end. at least miss usa is up front about what it is...a contest to see which ditzy, blond bombshell can starve herself into the american ideal.