Tuesday, February 6, 2007

F*&%$*&ing WMATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm not an especially anxious or confrontational person, but this morning's wait for the bus on 16th Street almost drove me to my breaking point - just ask my husband, he had to witness the whole scene. We almost never ride the bus, but for the past week it's been very chilly and walking the 2 miles just hasn't seemed like a good idea. However, because the city of DC and it's transportation system is apparently unable to deal with the cold, as well, taking the bus is apparently also not a good idea. Every day we stand there waiting for one of 3 different bus lines to pick us up, but bus after bus drives by full of people - or not full of people and driving by anyways. They come 4 at a time and then none for like 15 min. This morning the second we stepped out our front door 2 buses drove by empty, I knew then we were screwed. The next 20 minutes standing out there as no fewer than 10 buses drove by, were not good. I totally freaked out.

I just can't understand why WMATA can't figure out how to run a bus system on a schedule. I mean seriously, if the bus is running ahead of schedule it sits and waits at a stop until it's time to go, not just go racing at full speed towards the next stop!!!!! How is that so hard to figure out? Then when people come for the bus that is scheduled to come, there it is waiting for you - isn't that a novel idea. And, for crying out loud, I don't care if no one pulls the "next stop" chord, if you see people waiting at a bus stop in 2 degree weather - you fricking stop the bus and pick them up! And, when you know the route is seasonal and has heavier traffic when it is cold or super hot, you add more buses to the route -right?

Pardon my venting, but it's 10 a.m., my feet are still thawing out and I can't shake my bad mood. Is transportation just generally unbearable in extreme weather or is it just me? that's my thought of the day.....

2 comments:

Kristin said...

This sounds horrible!

Maggie said...

I ride the same line! Ironically, the bus I finally got onto this morning was "Out of Service." I def preferred it to the three "in-service" buses that didn't have room for me!

There's a particularly snarky bus driver that picks up at U and 16 around 8:35 am and then shuns would-be riders at every other stop down 16.