Thursday, February 8, 2007

To dog... or not to dog

They say a dog is a man's (or in my case a woman's) best friend. Which is why I bring this to my group of best friends for discussion. I want a dog. I mean, I really want a dog.

The pros/cons list:

-- What could possibly make you happier than seeing the cutest little thing alive (aside, of course, from Logan Coltrane Hayes) waiting for you when you get home? To be unselfish about it, there are a lot of really adorable, friendly dogs in shelters that need a good home. Granted my studio probably provides roughly the same amount of square footage as his/her cage in the shelter, they are in a much better environment in my apartment. Look at Leah, Sadie, and Isabella. These precious puppies deserve a better home! I can also get a puppy that is already crate trained and house broken.

-- On the nice days in DC, I'll have this constant companion to take to the National Mall or the coffee shop or just lay in Dupont Circle with. I have a doggie park less than a block away from my apartment and there are dogs all over my neighborhood that he/she can be friends with. We can go on hikes to Great Falls. I do these things anyway so it's not like this will be an inconvenience. On the other hand, on the miserably cold mornings (i.e. today) and other times when it's raining, having a dog can be a pain the butt. But it's only an hour out of my day that would really be inconvenienced by this. Correct? Oh yea, and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to have a dog in my apartment... details...

-- Dogs offer companionship, loyalty, and tons of fun. Granted they sometimes bark (I have no issue with a bark collar) and pee on the floor (so does Nick when he's drunk), but I feel like these will all just pale in comparison to the fun times!

-- Did I mention that puppies are just so darn cute??!! Which might make me want to stay home more often than not. Thursdays are sacred, of course, but I'd have to come home before happy hour and come home early to play with the little one. These are minor though, though, don't you think? I can also have someone come to my apartment and walk the dog for me if we have an event where I can't get home.

Now it's your turn. Chime in with your votes of yay and nay. Understand that this will be a community puppy and, if you so chose, will be available for play dates all the time.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

As much as I LOVE dogs and would love for you to have one so that I can play, I might have to say Nay on this one! You are out of town more than anyone I know - would you have to board lassie then? Poor dog!

Unknown said...

Why don't you wait and house sit your niece, Abby. She is a HANDFUL. A wonderful handful, but you would have to be home every few hours to take the dog for a pee/poop, clean up after them, pay vet bills for them, etc. I have a whole new appreciation why mom wants no more dogs (even though Abby is way better behaved than Trouble). Gonna vote nay until you have a yard or can afford a pet sitter full time. But I'll send you pictures of Abby all the time!

Mr. McFadz said...

I never pee on the floor. In the bushes or on buildings maybe but never on the floor.

From someone who is considering children in the future, I think a dog would be a huge burden. I do agree that puppies are cute and fun and everything else but puppies grow up. I vote nay.